In our work with Scrum Teams, we find that many don't know where to start. Or worse, they give up and resign to the situation. In this series, we're offering a toolbox of tried-and-tested experiments and do-it-yourself workshops to improve together. Most experiments are bundled in the Zombie Scrum Survival Guide.
People who support our mission through patreon.com can download all digital content for free. This benefit starts from $5 USD/month.
How does this help your team?
Is the environment in your organization supportive of Scrum, or does it cause impediments? A common complaint, and frustration, among people who try to change behavior, is that it seems to be so incredibly hard. But one important insight from social and organizational psychologists is that the behavior of people in organizations is strongly shaped by the environment.
This is often called "the smell of the place", and it gives you a sense of the culture of an organization. Although most of us are not always aware of this, the environment we work in shapes how we behave and feel. Just like most of us feel more inspired and energized in a fresh, lush forest than in the drab, concrete jungle of a metropolitan city in the scorching heat of summer. Re-energizing people often has a lot less to do with changing people, and a lot more with changing the context those people work in.
We designed this workshop with three overlapping goals. The first is to look at how your work environment shapes your behavior as individuals and as teams. The second is to turn this into a (simple) metric that you can track, and see if you're heading in the right direction. And finally, our goal with this workshop is to involve those people in your environment who have the power to change it (like management).
With the instructions in this guide, you should be able to run this workshop smoothly. But if you need help, we can also facilitate this workshop with you remotely. Contact us at email@example.com for availability and pricing.
Give this workshop a try, and let us know the results.
How does it work?
The PDF outlines a detailed tried-and-tested 125-minute workshop that relies on Liberating Structures to engage and unleash your team. The string is designed with virtual gatherings in mind and includes:
- Impromptu Networking
- 10x10 Writing
- What I Need From You
The string is optimized for groups of any size beyond 8+ participants.
What do you receive?
- A 14-page full-color PDF.
- The Scrum Culture Index as a separate canvas.
- We take you through the flow of the string in great detail. Not only do we explain all the steps involved, but we also explain why they are happening. This should make it easier to design your own strings in the future.
- The instructions support all virtual collaboration tools where you can create breakouts or separate channels occasionally (such as Zoom, GotoWebinar, and Teams). You can set up an additional virtual whiteboard in a tool like Mural, Google Slides, or Miro if you prefer.
- The PDF outlines additional resources and useful reading, both to prepare and to distribute afterward.
- Get our book the "Zombie Scrum Survival Guide";
- Explore our paper "10 Powerful Experiments to Overcome Zombie Scrum"
- Read our whitepaper where we explain the Scrum framework, and its principles and values, in our own words.