In our work with Scrum Teams, we find that many don't know where to start. Or worse, they give up and resign to the situation. In this series, we're offering a toolbox of tried-and-tested experiments and do-it-yourself workshops to improve together. Most experiments are bundled in the Zombie Scrum Survival Guide.
People who support our mission through patreon.com can download all digital content for free. This benefit starts from $5 USD/month.
How does this help your team?
If a team or organization decides to work empirically with Scrum, they will inevitably run into impediments. An "Impediment" is any problem that blocks the developers of a Scrum Team from achieving the Sprint Goal and is outside their control or ability to resolve on their own.
Which problems are "impediments" is something that changes over time. Although the order isn't always the same, most teams start with impediments related to how people understand Scrum (and empiricism) and how to work as a team rather than a bunch of individuals. Only when the majority of issues are solved there, technology issues become more prevalent. Once these are solved, organizational impediments within the value chain are popping up. If the value chain is optimized for Scrum, process issues outside the value chain are encountered, e.g. budgeting, career paths, and strategy processes.
Many impediments often involve other Scrum Teams, departments, and people across the entire organization - and those are often outside your immediate control. To overcome those, you need to include other teams and stakeholders as well. That's the purpose of this do-it-yourself workshop: to find solutions for persistent, tough, and challenging impediments, together!
With the instructions in this guide, you should be able to run this workshop smoothly. But if you need help, we can also facilitate this workshop with you remotely. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for availability and pricing.
Give it a try and let us know how it went!
How does it work?
The PDF outlines a detailed tried-and-tested 120-minute workshop that relies on Liberating Structures to engage and unleash your team. The string is designed with virtual gatherings in mind and includes:
- Wise Crowds for large groups
- 15% Solutions
The string is optimized for groups of any size beyond 8+ participants.
What do you receive?
- A 14-page full-color PDF.
- We take you through the flow of the string in great detail. Not only do we explain all the steps involved, but we also explain why they are happening. This should make it easier to design your own strings in the future.
- The instructions support all virtual collaboration tools where you can create breakouts or separate channels occasionally (such as Zoom, GotoWebinar, and Teams). You can set up an additional virtual whiteboard in a tool like Mural, Google Slides, or Miro if you prefer.
- The PDF outlines additional resources and useful reading, both to prepare and to distribute afterward.
- Get our book the "Zombie Scrum Survival Guide";
- Explore our paper "10 Powerful Experiments to Overcome Zombie Scrum"
- Read our whitepaper where we explain the Scrum framework, and its principles and values, in our own words.