In our work with Scrum Teams, we find that many don't know where to start. Or worse, they give up and resign to the situation. In this series, we're offering a toolbox of tried-and-tested experiments and do-it-yourself workshops to improve together. Most experiments are bundled in the Zombie Scrum Survival Guide.
People who support our mission through patreon.com can download all digital content for free. This benefit starts from $5 USD/month.
How does this help your team?
In order to succeed with Scrum, it is important to work with clear goals. Conversely, the best way to end up with Zombie Scrum is to avoid Sprint Goals or to consider them irrelevant or pointless to your situation. If this is happening for you, you're certainly not alone - many Scrum Teams struggle with Sprint Goals.
Maybe it is hard for your team to identify a goal for the Sprint out of the patchwork of items on their Sprint Backlog. Or perhaps your Product Owner doesn’t know how to balance the requests from many different stakeholders. Whatever the case, many Scrum Teams don't use Sprint Goals. And that is unfortunate because Sprint Goals are one of the most effective ways to deal with complex work.
We designed this do-it-yourself workshop to help your team define a clear Sprint Goal during Sprint Planning. The string of Liberating Structures contains Celebrity Interview to clarify the Product Goal, 1-2-4-ALL to select a Sprint Goal, Min Specs to create the Sprint Backlog, and What, So What, Now What to define the Sprint plan.
With the instructions in this guide, you should be able to run this workshop smoothly. But if you need help, we can also facilitate this workshop with you remotely. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for availability and pricing.
Give it a try and let us know how it went!
How does it work?
The PDF outlines a detailed tried-and-tested 120-minute workshop that relies on Liberating Structures to engage and unleash your team. The string is designed with virtual gatherings in mind and includes:
- Celebrity Interview
- Min Specs
- What, So What, Now What
- 15% Solutions
The string is optimized for groups of any size beyond 4+ participants.
What do you receive?
- A 15-page full-color PDF.
- We take you through the flow of the string in great detail. Not only do we explain all the steps involved, but we also explain why they are happening. This should make it easier to design your own strings in the future.
- The instructions support all virtual collaboration tools where you can create breakouts or separate channels occasionally (such as Zoom, GotoWebinar, and Teams). You can set up an additional virtual whiteboard in a tool like Mural, Google Slides, or Miro if you prefer.
- The PDF outlines additional resources and useful reading, both to prepare and to distribute afterward.
- Get our book the "Zombie Scrum Survival Guide";
- Explore our paper "10 Powerful Experiments to Overcome Zombie Scrum"
- Read our whitepaper where we explain the Scrum Framework, and its principles and values, in our own words.